Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Manni

Re: [Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:17 pm

Pauven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:02 pm Ok, I've gone ahead and made the change for Alpha 2 - let's call this experimental. Blu-rays will be set to "\BDMV\index.bluray;1", and DVD's will be set to "\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1".

I want you both to test with Alpha 2 to see if anything breaks. I need to know what happens if you don't use the library at all, Jamie's preference, and what happens if the library is simply missing a title, so Manni be sure to test this scenario. Test both Blu-rays and DVD's, and 4K UHD Blu-rays too. So that's at least 6 test cases for Manni, and 3 for Jamie.

I'm really hoping it simply works. If not, then I might have to make this behavior configurable so users can enable it only if they want it. The lack of response so far on the JRiver forum also has me expecting the worst, that missing titles will break.

I'm happy that we can knock out this testing early in the Alpa stage. I'll go ahead and make an Alpha 2 available in a bit.
Great, I’ll test all three. Please note that if Jamie doesn’t import his titles using MC library import, it is likely that the playback won’t work with the new path.
Here, it is likely that it will work as I use ISOs for 3D blurays (a case use you forgot, but I don’t think anyone uses bd folders for 3D Blurays as it takes twice the storage space. They use ISO or mkv Mvc. I used folders for 3D blurays despite the storage penalty when I was using the Oppo as it only supports folders for network playback, but I’m using the Dune now so I’m back to ISOs for 3D blurays.)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:28 pm

Manni wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:17 pm I use ISOs for 3D blurays (a case use you forgot
ISO's are detected and handled with their own logic in CMC. You can tell as much in the PlayClick debug log files. Very different data is passed to JRMC for ISO's, including whether the ISO is DVD or Blu-ray. I haven't made any changes to ISO handling. I suppose you might want to test the library/black bar support for ISO's too, simply to see whether the current CMC solution takes care of it.

I'm deploying Alpha 2 now.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:31 pm

Pauven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:28 pm
Manni wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:17 pm I use ISOs for 3D blurays (a case use you forgot
ISO's are detected and handled with their own logic in CMC. You can tell as much in the PlayClick debug log files. Very different data is passed to JRMC for ISO's, including whether the ISO is DVD or Blu-ray. I haven't made any changes to ISO handling. I suppose you might want to test the library/black bar support for ISO's too, simply to see whether the current CMC solution takes care of it.

I'm deploying Alpha 2 now.
I know, that’s why I said it will work for 3D blurays here as I use ISO. It wouldn’t work if I was using BD Folders, as you’re using the wrong file name in that case.

Will test alpha 2 after dinner and will report back in a couple of hours.

Thanks!

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:35 pm

FYI Hendrick says that playback should work even if the title isn’t in the library when using the virtual file name. Black bar detection not supported for DVD as I thought, with no plans to do so, so if DVDmplayback is broken just revert to the previous method, it won’t make any difference.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:43 pm

So for a 3D Blu-ray, would it exist only once in MC's library, i.e. "..\index.bluray3d;1", or would it exist twice, as both "..\index.bluray;1" and "..\index.bluray3d;1"?

The reason I ask is that t seems many 3D titles include both the non-3D and 3D versions, sometimes on the same disc, sometimes on separate discs. So it stands to reason that there could be multiple library entries depending upon the format you want to play.

I read Hendrik's response. Sounds like I should revert the DVD change, but I would like to see the test results first. If it works, I'd rather leave it in, just in case at some point in the future it is wanted, I can be ahead of the curve for once.

Ahh, I see you posted again, so we're on the same page.

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:36 pm

Only partial test results but I posted in the jRiver forums as the behaviour of the software is entirely inconsistent.

See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... #msg946796

Going for dinner, resuming testing shortly.

3D Bluray is broken with nVidia so I don't use it with my HTPC, I use the Dune to play them.

Not sure what happens with 3D bluray naming, given how they behave. I wouldn't waste time with 3D or DVD.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:57 pm

Lol, just read your JRiver post, and I'm more confused than ever.

So MC has a bug, in that black bar detected titles are index.bdmv, which is the original value that CMC used. But you complained that black bars weren't working. So I changed it to index.bluray, which you say works but not for black bar detected titles, which need index.bdmv.

Seems like we've only gone in a circle. It also seems like neither value works for black bars, otherwise you wouldn't have reported an issue in the first place, since they already matched the value CMC was using.

Did I miss something?

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:17 pm

Yes you did. :)

It's the bug that Hendrik was talking about that is apparently causing this issue with some titles and not others, especially when you process them manually. It will be fixed in the next build. The correct naming is definitely index.bluray;1

I've replied in the MC thread, but your changes are good, don't worry.

I'll do more testing with bluray and DVD but I think we're mostly good on CMC side.

I'll confirm when the new build of MC lands with the file naming bug corrected.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:22 pm

Ok, thanks.

Jamie, if you can test this that would be great, since you don't use the library at all. Just want to make sure playback still works for you.

Manni

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:52 pm

I have tested this already with titles that are not in the library (I don't have any bluray in the library, only 4K UHD bluray) and it works fine whether the title is in the library or not.

I'll do more comprehensive tests when their new build lands, but it looks fine for now, at least for blurays and 4K blurays.

Because the name convention has been the same from the beginning, it should also work fine with previous version of MC, but that would have to be tested.