Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

Re: [Fixed in Version TBD] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

Post by Pauven » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:40 pm

If you have any bug reports, yes, I want them. Please post in the Alpha thread.

Look closely at that error message. It reads: Unable to run "" <--notice the empty double-quotes, it's trying to run nothing. That's one of my planned enhancements for v7, to make this error more understandable, as it's easy to miss the importance of those quotes.

So in this case, it is not finding the path to the player. I'm assuming this is JRiver MC 31, yes? I know you tried to make 31 work as 30, did you undo those changes?
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:51 pm

Working fine for me. I will try it on a PC that I didn't fool around making it look like jriver 30 later. I think I removed my edits properly, but maybe not. Manni, did you back out your changes? i suggest you reinstall 31. CMC may be confused

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Don't forget that you can go to Settings > Licensing & About CMC > Show Video Player Info:

image.png
image.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 20133 times

It's helpful to see what CMC detects.

Manni

Post by Manni » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:06 pm

yes I reverted all the edits, reinstalled mc31, still not working.
I made the attempt on my laptop I think, not on the HTPC, so I dont think it's relevant.
you are correct, jRiver 31 is NOT detected in the licensing info. have you tried to instal V31 to check if cmc 7 detects it?

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:09 pm

Okay, I tried it on a pc which I did not muck with making it 30. 31 works fine. I also went In help/about inside jrivers menu and it certainly is jriver 31 that I am running.

Manni

Post by Manni » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:13 pm

I uninstalled / reinstalled mc31 (again), working fine now. :)

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Excellent, thanks to both of you for verifying.

Manni

Post by Manni » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:22 pm

Thank you for releasing this Alpha :)

I’ll test if the tv series WOL issue is resolved and will post feedback in the alpha thread.

Manni

Re: [Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

Post by Manni » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:40 am

I'm posting this here as it's related to MC31 support more than CMC7 alpha. Feel free to move to a new thread if necessary.

MC31 has a new feature to detect black bars and then do stretch, crop, or soon vertical picture shift (useful to move a scope picture to the top or bottom of the screen when using a 16/9 screen with a projector so you can use a single mask).

Anyway, this black bar detection is done offline, during the share import or afterwards on a title per title basis, to save on processing time during playback.

The black bar metadata is saved in the library. Unfortunately, jRiver doesn't save the actual file (index.bdmv) in the path, it saves a virtual file name (index.bluray).

As a result, the black bars are detected when playing the title from MC itself, but not when playing the title from CMC using jRiver as an external player.

They won't change this as they consider that it's up to the front end to follow the jRivewr naming conventions, so they have suggested a few options:

- Using their virtual file name rather than the actual file name with the complication that it's not the same virtual name for 2D and 3D blurays
- Using the share only (they don't need a file name)
- Using a CMD file.

Please look at the thread here for details: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... 612.0.html and let us know what you think. It would be great if this new feature in MC31 could be supported, as otherwise there is no way to use JRVR from CMC and get black bar detection. madVR still works fine though, as it doesn't rely in the library / offline black bar detection but does its own real-time black bar detection.

Pauven

Re: [Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:12 am

Ok, I read through the linked post, and I think we can do something about it.

First, I'm still a bit confused on the "virtual" file index.bluray. So it's not really even a virtual file, it simply doesn't exist anywhere, right? Rather, the path being passed to MC31 includes index.bluray in place of index.bdmv, and that serves as some kind of trigger for MC to do some special handling, right?

It also caught my attention that it's not just "index.bluray", but rather "index.bluray;1" and even "index.bluray3d;1". I don't know what the ";1" communicates, is that to play title 1 or something like that? And does passing the "bluray3d" trigger 3D playback? They spoke like there is a standard, but I have no idea what the standard is - a link would be helpful.

So back to CMC, as far as index.bdmv goes, that data doesn't come from My Movies, rather it gets appended in CMC when I build the command line. Here's a small snippet of some of the logic:

if (not DVDEpi) and (not BR_Epi) then begin
Source := ' "' + Loc + '"';
if Container = ctDVDFolder then begin
if Player in [MPCBE, MPCHC] then
Options := ' /dvd'
else if Player = VLC then begin
Options := ' dvd:///"' + Loc + '"';
Source := '';
end
else if Player in [JRiver, TMT] then
Source := ' "' + Loc + '\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO"';

end
else if Container = ctBRFolder then begin
if Player = VLC then begin
Options := ' bluray:///"' + Loc + '"';
Source := '';
end
else if Player in [JRiver, TMT] then
Source := ' "' + Loc + '\BDMV\index.bdmv"';

end

Notice that for both JRiver and Total Media Theatre, I append either "\BDMV\index.bdmv" or "\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO", depending upon whether the folder is a Blu-ray rip or a DVD rip. So it sounds like I need to do something different for JRiver MC. Keep in mind, I developed this about 6 years ago, and the logic may have been correct back then. I have no idea when the index.bluray stuff started.

It sounds like I have two options, and I'm not sure which is better. I can either change index.bdmv to index.bluray, or I can pass just the folder.

I'm leaning towards the latter option, mainly because I don't want to break support for old versions of JRiver MC, and I don't know in which version they added index.bluray. I'm theorizing that the folder itself would work with old versions without issue. It also concerns me that Hendrik just fixed a bug related to this, so I'm assuming this index.bluray logic is not 100% pre-MC31.

So I need to know the exact path to pass. Which one of the following four paths are correct?
  1. Player Commandline= /Mode Theater /PlayReplace "\\A4K\4kbdmv\Lucy
  2. Player Commandline= /Mode Theater /PlayReplace "\\A4K\4kbdmv\Lucy\
  3. Player Commandline= /Mode Theater /PlayReplace "\\A4K\4kbdmv\Lucy\BDMV"
  4. Player Commandline= /Mode Theater /PlayReplace "\\A4K\4kbdmv\Lucy\BDMV\"

I'm guessing it is #3. I don't have a JRiver forum account, so if you want to run the question by them, that would be great.

Also, do I need to make corresponding changes to the DVD paths, changing "\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO" to just "\VIDEO_TS", for example?