Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Jamie

Re: [Fixed in v7.0] JRiver MC31 not playing when 29 is also installed

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:59 pm

Sorry guys, I was offline for a few hours. I tested alpha 2 on my laptop and HTPC. On both machines Bluray worked fine. On both machines dvd did not work properly. The screen was black and after 30 seconds the audio began to have an echoing effect. I tried this with 3 dvds and all had the same effects. I tested jriver 31 with alpha one too. Both alpha 1 & 2 result with the same dvd problem. I usually use mpc-be for dvds so I don't know when I last tested jriver with a dvd.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:14 pm

Interesting results, thanks for testing Jamie.

Since Alpha 1 is unchanged from years past, and based upon your description, I'm assuming this is a JRiver MC issue, since I've never had any complaints about this before.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:25 pm

I checked mmcm, unraid, and it appears that all my dvd are set for dvd folders

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:29 pm

It must be jriver or that cmc had a parameter for jriver that doesn't work with my setup. If manni does not have the same issue, dvds play well for him, then we can move on. Like I said I have been using mpc-be for dvd movies and series.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:06 pm

I would say that it is a jriver issue since mc 22. A number of people complained about this problem but hendrick blew it off as a windows issue, driver issue, or madvr. I don't use madvr yet on these two machines. If someone else can play a dvd properly with jriver 22 - 31 I am okay with their results. I just don't want to deal with this issue because it is something hendrick doesn't seem to want to deal with. I've read a lot of posts and there was never a reported fix. Maybe when I have more time, I will get off my butt and try to find a fix. Right now VLC, powerdvd 20, mpc-be work fine for me.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:40 pm

If you have any JRiver threads to share, where they are complaining about DVD Folders not playing, please let me know.

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:25 pm

Not your problem Paul. I had to change the video mode from Red October JRVR to Red October standard. When I did this both blurays and dvds worked properly. Red October Jrvr is the default. Strange the blurays work great in that mode and DVDs don't. I don't have a gpu in either machine. Just intel HD graphics on the board. Both machines, laptop and NUC need to be replaced.

I guess I'll keep mpc-be for dvds and use jrvr with the better video mode for blurays.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:33 pm

Good to know, thanks!

Manni

Post by Manni » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:47 am

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply, for some reason I was unsubscribed from that thread.

Yes I don't have this issue with DVD, even with jRiver (playing from CMC). My DVDs (like all my titles) are ripped to folders 1:1 from my discs, usually with the fox. I tried a few with Alpha 5 and DVDs are played fine with jRiver.

However, I have BD MEnus enabled in jRiver, maybe it makes a difference?

I don't have many DVDs left (about 200, mostly titles that were never released in any newer format) as I've replaced most of my titles with bluray or 4K blurays, but if you have one that we both have, I could test. You could also re-rip one of yours to BD folders with the fox and try to play it with jRiver with BD Menus enabled, to see if it makes a difference. It shouldn't be who knows?

I have a real hard time getting them to fix issues. I've used jRiver for years without any issues because I was only using it as a player with madVR, but I found quite a few bugs (especially recently when trying to get their library to work) and they are always dismissed with the most ridiculous excuses (it's hardware, other software, etc). I even got banned yesterday for 24H because I wouldn't let Jim bully me in this thread about a bug in their library: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... 599.0.html

You'll see the effort it took me to get them to not only aknowledge that their was a bug but fix it. Hilariously, Jim thanks another user for their debugging, when I had to steer the whole debugging process and produce proof after proof, and avoiding the wild goose chase I was being sent on. When it was clear it was a bug (one I was able to get the expected results with jRiver 28), I put [BUG] in the title and Jim kept changing it.

They just don't accept bug reports from outsiders. Even after another user confirmed the same issue, they kept dismissing it. I think they have a close number of people they trust (MattKhan, Jmone etc) and until one of these confirms that there is a bug, they don't even look at the issue. What's hilarious is that they are so intent on proving you're wrong without even trying to reproduce the steps I detailed in my report. As soon as they did, they could see the bug, and only then did Hendrik look at it.

As you can see in this other thread, Jim also keeps asking me to "google" an issue because it's "complex", when he simply doesn't understand what I'm talking about: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... 613.0.html

That's Jim usual tactic to send people away, especially when he has no idea. Make vague and often irrelevant suggestions and send you on a wild goose chase. Hendrik simply ignores you most of the time. I have no idea why he is so dismissive and arrogant. He's doing a great job with LAV Filters and jRiver, I always make it clear that I love the software (as a player, their GUI is definitely not as good as they think it is). But for some reason, they are just systematically dismissive and antagonistic, instead of bering open the the idea that there can be bugs in any complex piece of software.

Every time I deal with them, it makes me appreciate more all the work Paul does here. I work with a lot of developpers. Some are always in denial and it's a constant uphill battle to get them to aknowledge a bug and fix. I usually stop reporting anything and I don't contribute anymore. Others (like Paul) are a joy to work with.

By the way, I (like everyone else) can be wrong, both in my assumptions and in my reporting, but when I am I always apologise and aknowledge it. It's not that difficult.

So just keep pushing, produce as much info as possible, but make sure it's not your settings first, or the way you rip, because it could be.

My ban has been lifted after 24H Jim realised I was right, and he's emailed to me to apologise about our difficulties in communication (mainly due to his patronising and dissmissive tone all along, he's cleaned up the thread quite a bit). I haven't posted again yet, just to make it clear that I don't care if he bans me. I will though, at some point, now that I've established that the issue is fixed here and all my titles are imported correctly. But you can see the amount of effort it took to get this simple bug fixed, and how everyone was intent on proving that it was my fault and that I was jumping to conclusion, despite the multiple proofs provided and me jumping through almost all the hoops they were producing...

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I wanted to report that they have fixed another bug that I've pointed out to them, which is the inconsistent way they were naming their files in the library (a new bug introduced by the new black bar detection feature).

So now the naming is consistent, and thanks to the change Paul made recently, CMC can now fully support jRiver's new black bar detection with JRVR, and it works consistently. If the title is in the library, black bars are detected. If the title is not in the library, the titles are still played, so from a CMC point of view there doesn't seem to be any downside to the new method, as far as I can see.

This is really future proofing for me, as jRiver doesn't support yet the feature that I'm interested in in relation to black bar detection (vertical picture shift, Hendrik declined to provide even a vague ETA, which is fine) and I'm still using madVR, but it would be good to have the option to use JRVR if at some point madVR stops working or if JRVR produces better results.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:21 am

Manni wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:47 am Others (like Paul) are a joy to work with.
Thanks. I try. think it helps that I usually assume I made a mistake. I'm a self-taught programmer, which means I usually do things wrong. Over time as I improve, I go back and look at my old code and shake my head in despair. At least I am improving, so there's always hope for the future.

I'm glad you've made progress in getting your perfect setup working.