Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Download your Netflix DVD History Now!

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
Pauven

Download your Netflix DVD History Now!

Post by Pauven » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:19 am

Over the past 17 years, I've rented over a lot of movies from Netflix's DVD.com. More importantly, I've rated thousands of movies on their service, way more than I've rented, in order to help their recommendation engine suggest better movies for my tastes.

With the death of DVD.com, those ratings are going away. But luckily Netflix has a download option, so you can preserve this data outisde of their service. Here's the link:

This got me to wondering, could I do something with these ratings? My Movies has a feature that I've long ignored, where you can apply your own movie rating in the "Personal" section of each title. Why not import my thousands of movie ratings and apply them to My Movies? After all, sometimes I love a movie that has a low "Stars" rating by the general public, and sometimes I hate a movie that is otherwise well regarded. I love the idea of this treasure trove of ratings having a second life in My Movies.

Does this mean I will be creating an import of this data into My Movies? Unfortunately, no. Not yet, at least.

To import data into My Movies, we have to use the API, and currently Binnerup has not created an API method to import personal movie ratings.

But perhaps we can convince them to add this feature. I'm sure it may take a while - if it even happens at all - but to err on the side of hope, go ahead an export your Netflix DVD.com data now and hold onto it, just in case!

We need to start a feature request on the My Movies forum to ask for this capability, and also to alert other users to download their own data before it's too late (October 27th is the very last day to download your data, 9 short days from now). If we can get enough attention, perhaps Binnerup will actually add this feature. I'm willing to write the import tool if Binnerup will add the API method.

Be sure to download your data in CSV format. I also downloaded it in PDF just to have a pretty version, but for import purposes the CSV is essential.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter