Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

Red and Green Buttons Not working

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
klpaint

Red and Green Buttons Not working

Post by klpaint » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:00 pm

I am going to start with I am on Windows 11 (if that matters).... I just purchased a new computer to be a CMC client. I still have my Windows 10 client and it works perfectly (they both talk to the same Windows 11 Server).

The Windows 11 client machine is brand new. I have everything working except the Red and Green buttons. I can go in the MCE Remote Configuration and I have Button to launch as green and button to close as red and it says the registry matches so no need to update (if have updated a couple of times just to verify).

All the other buttons on the remote seem to work. I can navigate movies, stop, pause, play, etc. It's when I exit to PowerDVD and try to red button out of it where the issue is. I can do hotkey-alt-f4 and that kills it. I can also take multiple remotes from other clients that work on my Windows 10 client and they don't work either. The green start button doesn't work either but that is not as critical as the red button but betting they are the same issue.

Is there an issue with Windows 11 and the red and green buttons? Am I missing something really simple?

Thanks,

Kevin

Pauven

Re: Red and Green Buttons Not working

Post by Pauven » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 am

I'm not aware of any limitations, but I haven't tested recently either.

What version/build of Win11 are you running.

Did you reboot?
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:26 pm

I am running Windows 11 PRO Version 23H2. OS Build 22631.2792.

I just rebooted again and checked that Green and Red are set and it say the registry matches. Red button does not work (neither does Green).

Thanks,

Kevin

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:38 pm

Try this hotkey: CTRL+ALT+8

That is a custom hotkey that should call the CMC shortcut to launch CMC, same as pressing the Green button.

Also, want to make sure we're talking about the same green button. There's the four color buttons (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow), and then the Big Green Button. Make sure that the one you programmed is the one you're pressing.

Have you installed anything else, like remote control software or WMC?

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:54 pm

If I hit CTRL+ALT+8 it launches CMC. I do think I have the right "Green" button coded as if I take it to my Windows 10 Client running CMC it launches CMC and the Red button kills PowerDVD. They just don't work on the Windows 11 machine. I have to believe the remote is coded correctly as it works on the other machine. Goofy....

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:24 pm

Paul,

Doesn't his new PC need an IR receiver to receive the remote's signal? Sorry if I am offbase here.

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:42 pm

It's actually a very good question. I am using a Flirc receiver which is what I have in my other PC as well. I built this client to be the same as my other, the difference is my original is Windows 10 and this one is Windows 11. What is bizarre is all the other remote commands work. I can move around, select movies, everything except the Red button to kill PowerDVD and the Green Button to start CMC. Green is not as important to me, Red is super important.

I don't think it is a remote issue as my remotes that work with the Windows 10 machine will drive everything on the Windows 11 except those two buttons. CMC thinks they are set correct and the registry matches. It's almost like Windows 11 doesn't recognize those two commands. It is very strange...

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:10 am

klpaint wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:54 pm If I hit CTRL+ALT+8 it launches CMC.
This is good. It shows that the shortcut was created correctly, and the problem is that the button is not issuing the hotkey to call the shortcut.

I know on WMC installs (Win7/8.1) that Microsoft blocks changing mappings for some remote buttons. But the 4 colored buttons should always be fare game. I'm a little worried that Microsoft has resumed their tricks, and the latest version is blocking this somehow.

Jamie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:24 pm Doesn't his new PC need an IR receiver to receive the remote's signal?
Good question I didn't think to ask.

klpaint wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:42 pm I am using a Flirc receiver which is what I have in my other PC as well.
I use and recommend FLIRC's as well.

klpaint wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:42 pm What is bizarre is all the other remote commands work. I can move around, select movies, everything except the Red button to kill PowerDVD and the Green Button to start CMC. Green is not as important to me, Red is super important.
That's good, at least we know the remote is working, and it is simply a Windows remapping issue.

Okay, next steps:

In CMC > Settings > Startup & Logging Options, enable Debug Logging, Save, and close CMC.

Then launch CMC. In the Logs subdirectory will be a DebugLog_MCERegCheck.txt file, share that. It may also be helpful to provide the same from your Win10 PC, since that one works and should have the same config, we can compare.

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:08 pm

This is the log file from the Windows 11 machine (red and green not working).
Attachments
DebugLog_MCERegCheck.txt
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

klpaint

Post by klpaint » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:36 pm

Here is the log file from Win10. There are a couple of things that are different but they both have Red and Green coded the same.

If Red does say (5B00000004043D) - Keyboard Stroke: Red = [Alt]+F4, yet when I hit red it doesn't kill anything but if I actually do an Alt+F4 on the keyboard it does.

What is that telling me? Is Windows not making the conversion for the "Red" button or ??

Thanks!

Kevin
Attachments
DebugLog_MCERegCheckW10.txt
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 161 times