Decorum for the Forum:
  • Be nice. If you want to be mean, try Reddit.
  • No Piracy. If you want to be a thief, there are dark places on the internet dedicated to that.
  • No Cracking. Discussions on AnyDVD, DeUHD, DVDFab, UHDKeys and similar tools are not permitted here.
  • No Spamming. If you want to make a buck, work smarter... somewhere else.
  • No Adult Content. Half the internet is dedicated to adult content. This half isn't.

Privacy Policy: Click Here to Review (updated September 30, 2020)

[Fixed in v7.1] v7 upgrade problem with Sync

General support forum for Chameleon MediaCenter (formerly MM Browser)
robert5733

[Fixed in v7.1] v7 upgrade problem with Sync

Post by robert5733 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:33 am

I have been using v6 successfully for a little while now. I use CMC_CME to back up the meta data, and sync CME to make sure all is good. Then I use CMC_CCC to watch movies. All is well after a long struggle with deployment. I started with Windows 8.1 to get up and running, then upgraded to Windows 10 pro.

I got a new computer to use as the main computer with 10th gen i7 to keep SGX support. Loaded Windows 10 Pro and loaded all needed programs. Downloaded CMC v7 and gave admin privileges to CMC and CME. Turned on network sharing and ran my first export. Had 2 movies with bad mymovies .xml so I put a space in the synopsis and saved the meta data. Exported them and fixed the errors.

Opened CMC and ran a sync, received errors on all titles for bad .xml mmTitle.xml.
all title error.jpg
all title error.jpg (182.18 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Cleaned the metadata just in case there was a problem with overwriting data file. Exported again and received no errors with export. Screenshot shows updated metadata for MMCM and CME.
metadata updated.jpg
metadata updated.jpg (434.06 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Ran a sync and same problem again.

Put v6 in another folder and exported and synced with no errors, working fine.

Used the update tool to update to v7 and everything was still working as designed. Except for still get the timerslideshow violation.

So I decided to check the operation of export and sync. Changed the title of a movie in MMCM by adding a space. Saved the metadata and exited. Opened CME and exported changes. That title successfully exported.
export successful.jpg
export successful.jpg (129.02 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Synced with CME and it gave an error for that title as bad .xml as before. All others are still fine.
one title error.jpg
one title error.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
One thing I found in the logs is during performance logging, in v6 it loads all the information from the metadata
v6 loading titl xml data.jpg
v6 loading titl xml data.jpg (159.92 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
but in v7 it is not loading information
v7 loading titl xml data.jpg
v7 loading titl xml data.jpg (164.1 KiB) Viewed 2100 times

Pauven

Re: v7 upgrade problem with Sync

Post by Pauven » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 am

Hey Robert
robert5733 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:33 am I use CMC_CME to back up the meta data, and sync CME to make sure all is good. Then I use CMC_CCC to watch movies.
I'm a bit confused by your statement here. I think you're changing CMC to disable CCC and syncing the [now] legacy CME XML files, just to test that they are good. Then you switch back to using CCC in CMC? Did I get that correct?

Can you share your CMC.cfg file with me?

There was a bug in CMC v6 in which it would still sync XML files even when CCC was enabled. I fixed this in v7. It's possible that you've been using CME XML files all along, even though you thought you were using CCC, due to this bug.

It also sounds like there may be a bug in v7 where it's erroring when reading the CME XML files. I'll have to look into that. Did you find any error files in the CMC folder or Logs subfolder?

Also, are you using CME v7 or CME v6? I can't quite tell from your screenshots.
President, Chameleon Consulting LLC
Author, Chameleon MediaCenter

robert5733

Post by robert5733 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:03 pm

Pauven wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 am I'm a bit confused by your statement here. I think you're changing CMC to disable CCC and syncing the [now] legacy CME XML files, just to test that they are good. Then you switch back to using CCC in CMC? Did I get that correct?
I have different folders for v7 download, v7 updated from v6, and v6 so I can test them all independently. I then have the operating version (which is v6 on the old computer, and the new computer will be v7), in 2 different folders, CMC_CME and CMC_CCC, allowing me to update the metadata separately from normal operation.
Pauven wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 am There was a bug in CMC v6 in which it would still sync XML files even when CCC was enabled. I fixed this in v7. It's possible that you've been using CME XML files all along, even though you thought you were using CCC, due to this bug.
With v7 testing I have not tried CCC yet. I am only trying to update metadata and test CMC_CME at the moment. I haven't opened CMC_CCC yet.
Pauven wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 am It also sounds like there may be a bug in v7 where it's erroring when reading the CME XML files. I'll have to look into that. Did you find any error files in the CMC folder or Logs subfolder?
From the screenshots earlier, it appears that is what is happening. I had a thought this morning and ran v6 CMC_CME, and did a smart sync for changes(from last nights v7 CMC_CME export). It found the changed title and synced it with no errors. It is only v7 CMC_CME that is having a problem reading the file.
Pauven wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:30 am Also, are you using CME v7 or CME v6? I can't quite tell from your screenshots.
Looks like I misplaced a couple pictures. The first screenshot is v6 performance log(from v6 CMC Logs folder), it shows loading the database correctly
v6 loading titl xml data.jpg
v6 loading titl xml data.jpg (159.92 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
The next screenshot shows v7 performance log (from v7 CMC Logs folder) not loading the database
v7 loading titl xml data.jpg
v7 loading titl xml data.jpg (164.1 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
The error files are both coming from v7 CMC Sync Error logs (from v7 CMC Logs folder)
all title error.jpg
all title error.jpg (182.18 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
one title error.jpg
one title error.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
I don't see a way to share the CMC.cfg file, I will see if I can send it to you after I close this reply

robert5733

Post by robert5733 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:10 pm

Here is the CMC.CFG file
CMC.cfg.txt
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:34 pm

Okay, I've reproduced the issue. At first glance, it appears to be a new bug in CMC.

I'm still troubleshooting, I'll update once I know more.

robert5733

Post by robert5733 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:24 am

Ok, so I know you have a new bug identified, but this thing is killing me.

As I mentioned, I got two new identical computers to update my network for movies. I was running NUC5i5RYK (intel 5th gen i5), new computers are NUC10i7fnh (intel 10th gen i7) running windows 10 same as NUC5, upgraded for more power.

If needed I can have this moved to a new post for CCC export.

I have tried the v7 and v6, with no difference noticed, so decided to keep with v6 which worked before for running the CCC export. I can run the sync with CME and it exports 1825 titles in 37 minutes. Fastest export I've done to date. Everything is working great (v6). It's time to move on to CCC.

At my whits end. I have tried everything. I run a test export and it takes like 8 minutes for one title. It says it is not responding and has the blue circle. It's not bringing the server out of standby. Then it retrieves another title and goes back to not responding. I know in your directions it says to expect 4 hrs for 2000 titles, mine would add up to 290 hours.

I went back to my old computer and ran a test export and it runs like 2-3 seconds for each title. Same cables through same switch to same server. Thinking it was a bad MM database, I have restored the database multiple times, multiple ways, with no change. Reinstalled windows to fresh state multiple times, no change. Tried with both computers in all these states and no change. Checked the old computer throughout these reconfigurations and it still test exports fast. Can reinstall windows in just minutes, can restore windows backup in under 3 minutes, can transfer files in seconds, computer seems to be blazing. Only problem is CCC transfer. I have tried many different permissions, many different properties, matched things up with the old computer, nothing seems to get me the same transfer speeds I got before (old slower computer) or get with CME. There are no errors, the titles do export, just ridiculously slow. I have 64Gb memory with a NVME PCIe gen3x4 SSD so it is fast. I don't know where to go from here. In your install it says it will start export fast and then slow down, possibly due to cache. If it slows down any more than 8 minutes, it will be next year to finish export.

As I said, CME is blazing fast export, so it is something to do with CCC and my configuration.I have tried a configuration before after market firewalls, and disabled defender, with no change. As I said, it is working just slow.

Sorry just trying to get this thing figured out. Was happy before I got these new computers.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 am

robert5733 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:24 am At my whits end. I have tried everything. I run a test export and it takes like 8 minutes for one title. It says it is not responding and has the blue circle. It's not bringing the server out of standby. Then it retrieves another title and goes back to not responding. I know in your directions it says to expect 4 hrs for 2000 titles, mine would add up to 290 hours.
I sense that some of the details are missing in your description, so I'm reading between the lines a little bit. It sounds like you are saying that your server is in standby (sleeping?). And that when you run CCC, it takes 8 minutes per title. This sounds like a timeout from the server being asleep. But it also sounds like the export is working, just extremely slowly, since you didn't mention any errors. I guess I'm confused by your comment about brining the server out of standby.

I don't believe that there are any changes in CCC v7 that could cause a slowdown, but have you tested CCC v6 on the new PC to see if it is fast or slow? I think that this is the next step, see if CCC v6 works okay on the new PC.

Is it possible that software on the new computer is interfering, maybe some antivirus software that doesn't exist on the old PC?

robert5733

Post by robert5733 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:56 pm

Pauven wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 am I sense that some of the details are missing in your description, so I'm reading between the lines a little bit. It sounds like you are saying that your server is in standby (sleeping?). And that when you run CCC, it takes 8 minutes per title. This sounds like a timeout from the server being asleep. But it also sounds like the export is working, just extremely slowly, since you didn't mention any errors. I guess I'm confused by your comment about brining the server out of standby.
When I say server, It is just a storage NAS with the movies stored on it. I then have my new computer connected to it through a switch. I also have my old computer connected to it through the switch. So that part is completely the same. The NAS storage has a window on the front and it says "The System is in standby mode". When it is accessed it changes to name and info of NAS. The old computer exports a title in about 2-3 seconds, the new computer takes 8 minutes and the window never changes from being accessed. Is the information accessed on the NAS storage, or is it only MM database, all internal to the computer?
Pauven wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 am I don't believe that there are any changes in CCC v7 that could cause a slowdown, but have you tested CCC v6 on the new PC to see if it is fast or slow? I think that this is the next step, see if CCC v6 works okay on the new PC.
I am only using v6 for the troubleshooting, I did try v7 to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.
Pauven wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 am Is it possible that software on the new computer is interfering, maybe some antivirus software that doesn't exist on the old PC?
I have tried with a fresh install of Windows 10 with nothing but MM installed, and defender disabled.

Pauven

Post by Pauven » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:36 pm

When you open MMCM on both the old and new PC's, do you notice a speed difference as you browse your collection?

Regarding the NAS staying in standby when you use the new PC, this may indicate an issue between My Movies Collection Management and the NAS.

When CCC retrieves data, it retrieves it directly from My Movies Collection Management, not the NAS. In fact, CCC never accesses your NAS. This is different from CME, where all the exported data is being written to your NAS.

But your NAS will still be access by My Movies during the export. I consider this buggy behavior (I've even asked Binnerup for a way to stop it), but when I get data via the My Movies API, My Movies Collection Management will rescan the media folder on your NAS in real-time, to determine if the media is online/offline and what format it is in. This is primarily for other player hardware, like Dune devices, and the extra data returned via folder scanning is not needed by CCC/CMC at all, and only slows things down, which is why I want Binnerup to disable this behavior.

But the fact that it is not occurring is probably indicating the problem. So CCC queries the My Movies API for data, and MMCM turns around and tries to scan the media folder (more than once, actually, at least 2 or 3 times). It could be that this scan is failing, and timing out, and perhaps it takes several minutes for that timeout to occur before it moves on.

Meanwhile, CCC is just sitting there, twiddling its thumbs, waiting on My Movies to send it some data.

As to why CME is fast and CCC is slow, well CCC does export more data, and this causes more folder scans by MMCM, but I would have expected CME to be a little slow too, so I'm a little baffled by this.

One way to verify if this is the issue is to enable debug logging in My Movies Collection Management, and then start the CCC export. Those API accesses will be logged, and you can review the My Movies debug log and perhaps see if there's an error or something.

If I had to guess, most likely the new PC is failing to connect to the NAS, and this is causing the slow API access for CCC.

robert5733

Post by robert5733 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:00 pm

ok, I broke out an old NUC 5 I had and installed MM CCC with the same files I have been using to eliminate the possibility of the new NUCs having a hardware incompatibility. There was no difference, so that eliminates the NUC as the problem.

Then I saw your post. That was a great tip for the MM logs. I cleared the logs and did a fresh test export on both the working NUC5 and the non working NUC5. I have included the logs.

What I found is that on the working NUC5 it does a time/date update at the beginning and never again. The non working NUC5 does a time update at the beginning and then again at times 16:28:32 and 16:29:21 and 16:30:33 and 16:31:22 resulting in about 4 minutes of lost time during the first title export. Both logs show the export starting at the same time, and took about 4 min 4 sec to complete the first title plus the two and a half minutes at the beginning to set time/date. There was a loss of about 3 min and 58 sec for time/date which means the first title should have exported in about 6 seconds. The working NUC took about 3 seconds.

So my question now is what is this time/date update and why is it acting different on the two different PCs? Is it updating time in PC, MM (MM and PC should be using the same time/date) or NAS storage? Or does it have something to do with the files or metadata?
non working nuc5 CCC Export.log
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
non working nuc5 MM log.txt
(90.49 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
working nuc5 CCC Export.log
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
working nuc5 MM log.txt
(402.93 KiB) Downloaded 31 times